February 28, 2013
February 15, 2013
This was my yummy lunch - something new for me! Sweet potato cooked in the microwave with a little sour cream and chives. Healthy, cheap, fast, tasty, win!
Today was insane for a day in February! I spent two hours out in the sun playing with dogs, went bike riding, and sunbathed by the pool. Awesome.
February 13, 2013
I finally printed out my manuscript for THE SUN WENT RED, today. It felt amazing to see a physical copy! Now I can finally get down to the nitty gritty and edit this thing. This story has been bumping around in my head for a year, officially, and needs to be told.
50,000 words = 30 pages, single-spaced, point 8 font.
February 12, 2013
February 11, 2013
We visited with Colin's mom, Suzi. We ended up discussing a lot of deep and personal topics when we were just supposed to be picking up a birth certificate. This reading nook is out in the hallway by the elevator and I think it is just perfectly impractical. It is a lovely spot but no one ever sits there.
February 10, 2013
February 07, 2013
It is my great honor to announce that today is the birthday of Charles Dickens, my favorite author! Dickens (obviously we are on a last name basis) is a remarkable writer, and I strive to even come close to his greatness in my own writing some day. He is a master storyteller, has a flair for darkness, and is remarkably hilarious and brilliant. Alright, I will stop gushing.
I think everyone grew up with stories like A Christmas Carol around the holidays, and Oliver Twist, but it wasn't until fairly recently that I really fell in love with Dickens. I watched the BBC adaptation of Bleak House and I was hooked. I then went on to watch Little Dorrit - which is probably my all-time favorite thing to watch, ever. I thought to myself, these adaptations are so amazing, wouldn't the book be even better? Yes. Little Dorrit was amazing, Bleak House a little less so, and David Copperfield was an interesting book. They are epic tomes and hard to get through at times, but so worth it.
I am a little embarrassed to call Dickens my favorite author when I have only technically read 3/20 of his novels. What kind of fan am I? I am making it a goal for this year to tackle as many of these texts as I can. I will keep updating this list as I tick them off one by one!
I hope that I can inspire even one person to give a second glance to this perfect Victorian gentleman, and pick up one of his books.
Novels (Gray = Read)
How NOT to make friends -
Step 1: Find a full-length mirror in a dumpster. Rescue it and carry it arround.
Step 2: Find a public place to set it up so it is in full sunlight - preferably in an area near a pool and gym where people are gathered to show off their bodies.
Step 3: Proceed to take self-portraits in said mirror in said sunlight in front of said people without a care in the world - the final product of which makes you look like a sniper. Fun times.
February 03, 2013
February 01, 2013
1. I went to Uwajimaya (my neighborhood Asian grocery store) to pick out a gift for my friend, Kat. It was really difficult, actually - she loves Korea and I love Japan. It was like going against my nature trying to pick out the few Korean snacks and magazines vs. the dizzying array of Japanese things that were calling to me! I eventually picked up some goodies for her package, and of course some treats for myself too! --- This was an amazing cream puff! I mean, fresh is always better of course, but for a frozen cream puff/no hassle it was very nice. Not too sweet! I have a fascination with cream puffs now after watching the Japanese drama "Zettai Kareshi - Robot Boyfriend" because the main character loved to make cream puffs. They are so romantic and idealized for me now!
2. This daifuku (大福) was a miss :( It was so cute that I wanted to like it, but it tasted like peanut butter and jelly - not kiwi!
3. These are pretty good. They are supposed to be bitter dark chocolate. Now, I have tasted bitter dark chocolate and these are comparatively WEAK but they still taste nice for milk chocolate. They are packaged individually like the size of Andes mints that you get with your meal at restaurants. The packaging is classy but these aren't super interesting.
4. These mochi choco coffee cookies are so nasty! The consistency is gross and overall yucky.
5. I got these cookies because they look sort of like macarons, right? Well, they taste okay but there is something just a little off. It is like taking a bit of something with the full knowledge that there have to be a million and one preservatives in these things to remain soft and cookie-like. Pass.
6-7. I found these gorgeous flowers at Uwajimaya that just intrigued me! I have never seen flowers that color before! I think they are very pretty.
8. I got this little zen garden candle piece for my coffee table. It brings the whole room together and adds a lot of ambiance and mood lighting! I never really was a big fan of wickless candles, until now.